Three Southwest Idaho schools, a juvenile detention center and a day-care center have been awarded Just Add Water garden grants funded by Whole Foods Market.
• Lowell Elementary School, Boise
• Heritage Middle School, Meridian
• Pat Andersen School, Southwest Idaho Juvenile Detention Facility, Caldwell
• Syringa Middle School, Nampa
• Little Luke’s Day Care operated by the Treasure Valley YMCA at St. Luke’s Health System, Boise
The $400 grants can be used to start a new school garden or expand an existing one. These funds can be used toward garden supplies, infrastructure, program materials, or garden tools. Additionally, through a partnership with Idaho Master Gardner Program, each grant recipient will receive a garden mentor to help support the garden during the 2014 gardening season.
The award winners were eligible to apply for the grants after successfully completing a Just Add Water workshop presented earlier this year by the Boise Urban Garden School, Let’s Move Boise, Boise Parks & Recreation, the University of Idaho Canyon County Extension, Idaho Botanical Garden and the Idaho Master Gardener program.
School gardens help youth establish healthy eating habits, connect them with math and science curriculum in the garden, and teach them to be environmental stewards.